The Synnott Twins

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 22, 2010

John (update)

ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) came out to evaluate John for his speech. It was a great visit with lots of questions and it was very overwhelming. I truly don't remember much so I will just give you the run down!
He qualifies for speech therapy by one of their therapist 3 times a month for 45 minutes.
They said that he is talking around the 18-21 month age. He is almost 27 months. There are things they said he should be doing, like talking in three word phrases. They did say he doing wonderful in all other areas for a 2 year old! I could go into a lot of detail but I truly don't know how to explain everything they said in words. Sorry for being so vague!!!
I have to say I am happy that we are getting help early in his childhood so he can over come this and we can communicate better. Brandon will also benefit from this. He is behind as well just not as bad so he would not qualify if we had him tested. We will use what we learn for both the boys and I am very excited to see what Brian and I can do to help John progress and help Brandon talk in phrases as well.
After they left I have to admit I started to get upset because I felt and still kind of feel as if this is my fault. I could of read to John or repeated words or spent more time with him to help him along. I am with him most and I feel like I failed him. i know he is just behind but I know I could of done something. Maybe less tv and more books, less books and more talking and playing... I just feel bad. I know he wants to talk and communicate with me and just can't. He walks me where he wants to go rather than tells me. He points to what he wants rather than tells me. BUT he is talking much more that he did before his surgery. He is trying very hard to talk to me so we think he might be in a mental growth spurt and that's why Miss Megan (our therapist) is coming over as soon as tomorrow to start working with the little man!
I am excited yet nervous! Please pray for John to warm up to Miss Megan and to work well with her, please pray it rubs off on Brandon and please pray that Brian and I can work with the boys daily and continue what the therapist will do.


4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Don't beat yourself up! While I am sure that every mother does the same, all that matters is that you are doing what you can to help him. Kudos to you for being proactive! :) Best of luck to you and your family! :)

Staci said...

Awww don't talk like that. You are a wonderful mom and have done the best you could possibly do. I want to have Preston evaluated by someone. When we get down there I will contact you to get the information of who you are using. I don't know how it works but I think he is behind as well. Hang in there you are awesome!

Jenny B said...

Don't let the enemy make you feel guilty. You have been doing ECI with them since they got home and have always done everything you could to make sure they were where they should be and they are doing excellent. The really good thing about this age is that they can learn so quickly. Not to mention even if you had done something different with John he probably still wouldn't have been able to speak any better anyways because he needed the surgery right? So that would probably just have frustrated you both. :) I'll be praying for you guys! I know that all of you guys are going to do great!

katy said...

Don't beat yourself up! My nephew watches TV ALL DAY LONG (literally) and he has always been ahead of Kendra verbally. I think some kids just pick things up earlier than others. John will get it! That's great that you all are getting some help. :)